Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Jane's Quilt is called: MAROUBRA

Hello, I've just finished a big quilt. It's a housewarming present for a friend who moved to Maroubra. She wanted something that reflected this beachy suburb. She liked a quilt I had pinned on Pinterest which had half square triangle blocks. There was no pattern so I collected a bunch of beachy looking fabrics and made lots of blocks. Ruling up halfsquare triangle blocks is pretty tedious unless you have company so I took it along to my craft group and we ate cake and drank coffee and chattered while I ruled up 150 blocks. The time passed quickly believe me!
Here is a photo of the whole quilt (above). I like the touches of sunny yellow.
In the photo above you can see the backing fabric I used, the label and some of the quilting. Lyn Hudson in Portland did the quilting in a continuous wave pattern - very appropriate. The wave pattern added curves to an otherwise angular quilt.
I used a leftover block fro the label and leftover binding to edge the label.
Above is a close-up of the half square triangle block and the wave continuous quilting.
Here's a picture of the random strip binding I love to do. I cut random-length strips 2 and a quarter inches wide, string 'em together, iron them in half and my binding is made. I use the left over scraps of fabric to do this so of course they fit in beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment