Its been a while since I posted. That's because I have had knee replacement surgery in October with major physio following. For my hospital stay I took lots of handsewing sewing to do and managed to complete some applique that has been hanging around for a couple of years.
Sunday, August 30, 2015
Last weekend I made a pincushion from a couple of leftover friendship star blocks, a needlebook from some Laurel Burch cat fabric and a mug bag from a pretty lavender print. Time to get back to the bigger projects soon though. Ive had a good bit of fun putting these small things together.
Thursday, August 20, 2015
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Recently The Yarnspinners asked me to workshop the little mugbags that I use so frequently as gifts. To do this I prepared each step in progression to demonstrate how to proceed. This involved cutting out 4 mugbags which would later need sewing up. So...........last week after the workshop I sewed all the mugbags up! We can't have them hanging about unfinished can we? And a pretty little bunch they turned out to be. I love doing them because they are very quick and easy and you can use those pretty little pieces you have left over from other projects. It's fun making the lining coordinate and more fun choosing fabric to match the mugs you have. Here is the latest batch.
Friday, June 12, 2015
Being a Pinterest addict I also thought I'd try one of those pincushions on top of a jar that I'd been pinning on my pincushion board. This did not go so well as I'm not the best at using glue guns. It was worth a try but I'd need to get much better at it to feel comfortable. I cut out a circle and embroidered "Have a nice lamington" on it.This is an in-joke in the Yarnspinners. Len recently was ill and had to go on anti-biotics. He ended pronouncing to us all that he thought lamingtons made much better anti-biotics than tablets and proceeded to hand them around for afternoon tea. To those of you who don't know what a lamington is, it's a 3" cube of spongecake covered in chocolate icing and then covered again in desiccated coconut. A great Australian staple for afternoon tea.
Saturday, May 16, 2015
Of course, once Bernie's quilt was done it was clear a lap quilt for her partner Patrick was necessary too. This one did not require quite as much effort as it was a quilt top I had made some time ago from some beautiful batiks that I bought in the United States. I love the combination of blues and browns in this quilt.
Bernie is visiting my family from the United Kingdom for a couple of months. I thought it would be fun to make her a quilt. She enjoys those bright pastels which are so much fun to use in quilts. She carefully chose those prints she liked and we decided to do just a very simple basic block quilt. Using the simplest block possible is a good way of showing off colours and textures without the distraction of complicated designs. We chose many of those beautiful Kaffe Fassett prints in clear fresh colours. Bernie loves her quilt and there were enough blocks left over to make a couple of cushion covers.
This little table runner caught my eye online. In general, I don't use hearts frequently in piecing or quilting but I liked this little block and thought it made an attractive runner.
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Here is a sweet little baby quilt. The fabric is a soft cotton with fire-engines and little firefighters on it. I could not better a traditional gingham in pale blue as an accompaniment. It was also a case of "the simpler the better" where the fabric does the work for you. A soft striped shirting for the back completed the task.
Saturday, March 7, 2015
Some years ago in 2006 I did a weekend workshop on a Christmas wallhanging. When I finished it I gave it to my sister-in-law for Christmas. When we spent Christmas last year with them in Melbourne, there it was. As I had no record of it I thought I would do a blog entry for it. Here it is.
Saturday, February 28, 2015
I've made a few of these for friends. One of the things I love to do is personalise them. In this one I've appliqued and embroidered a couple of little girls (Angela's granddaughters) and embroidered her initials on the cover. The picture was adapted from a Pin I found on Pinterest, incidentally one which I noticed that Angela had liked and pinned. I have improved the pocket area by adding a button down flap for scissors so that they don't fall out. Adding some vintage thread, a tape measure and some vintage pins to the pocket completed the package.
Thursday, January 8, 2015
We have a new member in the Yarnspinners. Am's specialty is scrapbooking so we anticipate she will contribute to the group in many ways. I have questions to ask about displaying photos of my grandmother. In the meantime I have made the requisite welcome mugbag complete with mug.